The purpose of this contest is to promote and recognize creative writing in children. This should not be a classroom assignment. It is meant to encourage children to use their own initiative to submit entries.
- Short Story (fiction, 2,500 words maximum)
- Poetry (any length, all forms)
Entries will be judged anonymously based on originality, quality of expression and skill in handling specific forms of writing. Decisions will be final.
Winners will be notified and presented with their awards at a ceremony to be held on Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 2:00pm at Bemis Public Library.
- Carefully read and follow rules.
- One manuscript per category (one short story, one poem) may be submitted (two total).
- Each manuscript must have a separate Entry Form.
- Incomplete Entry Forms will be subject to disqualification.
- The author’s name should ONLY appear on the Entry Form.
- Entries must be the work of an individual, not joint ownership.
- Manuscripts may be typed or printed legibly on only one side of an 8 ½” x 11” sheet.
- Label each page of the manuscript with the TITLE of the work and the PAGE NUMBER.
- First grade authors may dictate their entries.
- Do not use a folder or a cover.
- Only students in 1st through 8th grades are eligible.
- Authors must reside within or attend a school located within the Littleton Public Schools boundaries.
- Manuscripts will not be returned.
- All Winning entries will be bound in a book and copies will be available for purchase. Past year books may be referenced in the children’s room at the library.
- Entries are due by 5:00pm, Saturday, April 6, 2019.
- Staple Entry Form to manuscript, submit at Bemis Public Library (6014 S Datura St)
- OR Email Form and manuscript to FriendsLibraryMuseum@gmail.com
- NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Winners will be notified sometime the week of April 22nd. Due to the volume of contestants, only the winners will be notified.
*PLEASE NOTE: This contest is sponsored and managed solely by the Friends of the Littleton Library and Museum. The staff of the Bemis Public Library has no involvement in procedures or judging. Questions should be referred to Lisa Hendry @303-819-4443 or FriendsLibraryMuseum@gmail.com.
Please print and complete all information legibly. Fill out one entry form for each manuscript.
Author’s Name: __________________________________________________________
Home Address: _______________________________________ ZIP Code: __________
Phone: ______________________ Email: _____________________________________
School: _________________________________ Teacher: _______________________
Grade: (Check one)
- Short Story
Title of Entry: ____________________________________________________________
I declare that the attached manuscript is my own work. (Plagiarism will be cause for disqualification.) I have complied with all of the contest rules.
________________________________ AUTHOR SIGNATURE (Required)
________________________________ PARENT SIGNATURE (Required)